Do you avoid using tofu because you family says “it’s too mushy,” “there’s no flavor,” or “the texture is weird”?
Try these 5 tips to get your family over its fear of tofu.
- Marinate it. Tofu loves a good quality marinade. The longer you marinate your tofu the better the resulting flavor.
- Choose your firmness wisely. If you cut your tofu into strips, cubes, squares, steaks or triangles and want them to hold their form- use firm or extra firm tofu. Only use soft or medium tofu when you want a smoother consistency, like jello or cottage cheese, in your dish.
- Make it crispy. Lightly coat pressed tofu in cornstarch after you marinate it and before your fry it for a super crispy supper. Learn how in this video.
- Don’t just pan fry it. Try broiling, baking, or grilling your marinated tofu for improved texture.
- Press your tofu! We can’t stress this one enough, and not just because we make a tofu press. Tofu acts like a sponge, and like a wet sponge, if it is too full of water it won’t absorb anything- including flavor. Your unpressed tofu may end up with a watery taste and a mushy texture. Pressing tofu removes the excess water and allows tofu to soak up flavors and marinades substantially better.