Set the mood for you and your Valentine ~ and turn up the heat!
Make Valentine’s Day exciting with this super simple appetizer! Spend your time with your Valentine, and not in the kitchen (or at least not cooking food!)
- 1 Brick of Tofu
- 1/4 cup Sweet/Hot Chili Sauce* (off the shelf or homemade as shown below)
- 1/4 cup Chili Lime Rub (off the shelf Williams-Sonoma)
- Papaya Chutney with Lime (off the shelf Tiger Tiger)
- 1/4 cup raw Walnuts or Almonds
- Water Crackers
- Press Tofu (Nasoya brand, extra firm) for one hour in the TofuXpress. Slice lengthwise.
- Cut Tofu with heart-shaped cookie cutters. Use different sizes as pictured. The heart in the upper-right was hollowed out with a smaller-sized heart to create a hole for the Papaya Chutney with Lime.
- Using a basting brush, spread the Sweet and Hot Chili Sauce atop a few hearts, Go over a few times with additional coatings to deepen flavor. Take a few other hearts and wet the top surface with water to help the Chili Lime Rub stick. Press a few tofu pieces into the Chili Lime Rub. Fill one heart with the Papaya Chutney with Lime to be scooped onto a fork with tofu or walnuts, or spread on a Water Cracker.
- All flavors used here have a little heat ~ but maybe you want to go sweet for your Valentine. Get creative, and remember this is your recipe; build off these ideas and select your own flavors!
- *Sweet/Hot Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup Hot Chili Sauce (off the shelf)
- Add 1 tablespoon Agave to Chili Sauce, to taste. I used 3 tablespoons Agave to smooth out the hot flavor of the Chili Sauce.
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/NEW/