Here are 6 healthy reasons to add tofu to your diet
- Great Skin: Tofu contains the perfect combination of vital nutrients that contribute to clearer and smooth skin! Tofu is a great source of lean protein, calcium, unsaturated fats, antioxidants and minerals. Tofu also does not contain any of the ingredients that contribute to dull, acne prone skin. Another age defying benefit of eating tofu regularly is that it helps to retain the elasticity of the skin and tones the facial muscles.
- Cancer Prevention: Tofu, high in antioxidants, isoflavones and calcium, can protect our bodies from many types of cancer including breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancer.
- Ease Menopause Symptoms: WebMD tells us that “Soy products may improve menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes.” The soy isoflavons, found in tofu and other soyfoods, are behind this relief; isoflavones are a type of phytoestrogen, a chemicals found in plants that work like estrogen.
- Prevent Osteoporosis: Tofu can also be consumed to help prevent Osteoporosis, thanks to its high levels of calcium. WebMD shares that “Eating lots of soy may help keep your bones strong, especially in the first 10 years after menopause. (This is when your estrogen level drops and rapid bone loss happens.)” And, if that weren’t enough- Tofu is also effective in preventing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Prevent Hair loss: Human hair is primarily made of a protein called keratin. According to Dr Anitha Anchan, “by eating tofu, your hair gets the required protein to produce hair more and keep the existing ones healthy. Instead of splurging on expensive treatments, add tofu to your daily diet to solve hair loss issues.”
- Eliminate Puffy eyes: According to Dr. Oz “The quickest trick is to place extra firm tofu patches, cut a half-inch thick, under each eye for 10 minutes a day for two weeks. The soy in tofu has been shown to increase collagen. Also, soy contains flavonoids that have been shown to decrease sun damage. Combined, these will smooth and heal the skin. The sheer weight of the tofu patch will help press the swelling out of the area.”
Is it easier said than done to get your family to try tofu?
Start small! Try adding a little pressed tofu to your famous Mac & Cheese or mix it in to your next salad.
If you’re ready for the next step try these Healthy Tofu Recipes today!