Tofu Caprese Sandwich2013-04-16 15:00:28Write a reviewIngredients
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into two slices
- olive oil
- dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 small fresh italian loaf, cut into four slices
- 1 – 3 tsp butter
- 1 tomato, cut into slices
- 1/2 medium fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- 4 basil leaves, shredded
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/NEW/
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in another skillet over med-high heat. Place tofu slices in skillet and top with dash of balsamic vinegar. Pan fry the tofu for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until edges begin to crisp. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of butter in a large skillet over med heat. Dust the four slices of bread with the rest of the butter. Place the bread, butter-side down, in the skillet and heat for approx five minutes, or until the bread is slightly toasted and crispy.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Layer tofu, then cheese, then basil, then tomatoes on one slice of bread. Top each slice with the remaining slices of bread. Cook in preheated oven for approx 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top of bread is crispy.