Spice Encrusted Tofu with Vegan Beurre Blanc
- 2 Bricks Extra Firm Tofu, 365 Brand
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ cup dry White Wine
- 2 medium Shallots
- 2 teaspoons whole White Peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3 whole Blood Oranges, juiced
- 8 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 3 tablespoons fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 4-6 cups Arugula
- TofuXpress Unit
- TofuXpress Cutter
- Fine Strainer
- 1 Large Fry Pan
- 1 Medium Skillet
- Press Tofu in TofuXpress, for 3 hours, or overnight. If you do not have two TofuXpress units, you will need to plan ahead and press 1 brick overnight. Slice each pressed Tofu brick lengthwise. One Tofu brick at a time, return both halves to TofuXpress unit. Using TofuXpress Cutter, cut 24 evenly sliced cubes per brick of Tofu, yielding 48 even slices.
- Place Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon, and Salt into a plastic bag, or spread over a plate. Evenly coat each piece of Tofu with spices. Set aside. This can be done a day ahead.
- In a large Fry Pan, add Olive Oil and heat till hot. Add Tofu slices and fry till browned, flipping to brown both sides of each slice.
- Place Earth Balance into fry pan. Heat to medium heat to melt. Add Wine, Shallots and Peppercorns. Cook Shallots till soft and opaque. Remove pan from heat and using a strainer, remove all Peppercorns and Shallots and discard.
- Return liquid to fry pan, and slowly add Orange Juice, while whisking to blend.
- Place Arugula onto a long serving dish as a bed. Place hot Tofu onto Arugula. Pour Beurre Blanc sauce over Tofu and sprinkle with Parsley. Serve immediately. This dish gets even better when allowed to refrigerate several hours before serving.
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/