Korean-Style Fried Tofu with Green Onion Sauce
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu (12 oz.)
- canola oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili powder flakes – optional (I bought Whole Spice Korean chili flakes in Napa Valley and it’s quite mild though it gives the sauce a splash of color).
- 1/3 teaspoon red chili flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be).
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (or more if you prefer).
- 1 teaspoon ground sesame seeds (I use an electric Zojirushi sesame grinder though for a few dollars you can purchase an inexpensive hand grinder at most Asian markets).
- Roasted sesame seeds for sprinkling on the fried tofu (optional).
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, Korean chili flakes if using, red chili flakes, green onions and ground sesame seeds in a small bowl. Mix ingredients to combine well. Set aside.
- Press tofu in Tofu Xpress for 1/2 – 1 hour in the refrigerator (alternately slice tofu and place between several layers of paper towels then put a cutting board on top and weight with a few cans or a large book on your counter for 15 – 30 minutes).
- Remove tofu from Tofu Xpress and slice into 8 pieces (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Place a skillet large enough to hold all of the tofu on medium heat with 2 – 3 teaspoons of canola oil.
- Fry tofu for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip tofu over and brown the other side for about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and drizzle sauce over the tofu. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds (optional).
- I make this the night before and take it for lunch the following day. Gently reheat the tofu, drizzle with sauce and serve with rice.
Adapted from mylilikoikitchen.com
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/