Korean-Style Fried Tofu with Green Onion Sauce2013-06-05 08:22:46Write a reviewIngredients
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu (12 oz.)
- canola oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili powder flakes – optional (I bought Whole Spice Korean chili flakes in Napa Valley and it’s quite mild though it gives the sauce a splash of color).
- 1/3 teaspoon red chili flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you want the sauce to be).
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (or more if you prefer).
- 1 teaspoon ground sesame seeds (I use an electric Zojirushi sesame grinder though for a few dollars you can purchase an inexpensive hand grinder at most Asian markets).
- Roasted sesame seeds for sprinkling on the fried tofu (optional).
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, Korean chili flakes if using, red chili flakes, green onions and ground sesame seeds in a small bowl. Mix ingredients to combine well. Set aside.
- Press tofu in Tofu Xpress for 1/2 – 1 hour in the refrigerator (alternately slice tofu and place between several layers of paper towels then put a cutting board on top and weight with a few cans or a large book on your counter for 15 – 30 minutes).
- Remove tofu from Tofu Xpress and slice into 8 pieces (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Place a skillet large enough to hold all of the tofu on medium heat with 2 – 3 teaspoons of canola oil.
- Fry tofu for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip tofu over and brown the other side for about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate and drizzle sauce over the tofu. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds (optional).
Adapted from mylilikoikitchen.comAdapted from mylilikoikitchen.comTofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/NEW/
- I make this the night before and take it for lunch the following day. Gently reheat the tofu, drizzle with sauce and serve with rice.