Caramelized Tofu with Swiss Chard
- 2 Bricks Tofu, 365 Brand, Extra Firm.
- 6 leaves Red Swiss Chard, thlnly sliced horizontally
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika (McCormick brand is nice)
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Heart-shaped cookie cutters
- Cookie Sheet or Wax Paper
- Press Tofu for 2 hours or overnight. Slice Tofu lengthwise. If a Valentines Day theme is desired, cut some of the Tofu with cookie cutters. Dice remaining Tofu into smaller sizes. This can be done one day ahead.
- In a very large skillet, heat Oil on medium heat. Add Onions. Stir Onions to coat with Oil. Add a pinch of Salt and Pepper.
- Continue to stir occasionally til Onions become dark in color. If Onions stick to pan, add a tablespoon or two of water to loosen.
- Combine Brown Sugar and Smoked Paprika and blend.
- Place Tofu pieces onto a large cookie sheet or wax paper. Coat at least one side of each piece of Tofu in the Sugar / Paprika mixture.
- Move Onions to sides of pan, and add Tofu. Brown both sides of Tofu. Once browned, place sliced Swiss Chard. It will immediately begin to wilt. You can cover or allow to cook down, approximately 10-15 minutes, depending upon the size of the Chard.
- Before removing from pan, sprinkle with Sea Salt.
- Serve Hot.
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/