BBQ Baked Tofu
This is actually a really flavorful tofu recipe that even those staunch meat eaters in your household will probably like, but of course you could use the same recipe for barbecue chicken or pork by simply adjusting the cook time accordingly. I suggest doing half (tofu) and half, so they can at least try a bite. It might sway them to stick with the low in fat, high in protein and calcium tofu next time.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- 2 12 ounce packages firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2” thick, quartered slices
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1). In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Sauté the onions, pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and chili powder; when the vegetables are coated with the spices, add the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes; set aside and let cool.
- 2). Pour barbecue sauce into a large bowl, add tofu and gently toss to coat evenly with sauce. Let the tofu marinate in the barbecue sauce for at least 1 hour.
- 3). Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4). Reserving the barbecues sauce, place tofu evenly on prepared baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn and baste tofu with remaining barbecue sauce and bake for another 20 minutes, or until tofu is browned around the edges.
- Serve hot with green bean & corn salad.
- Submitted by Julie Ann Rhodes at http://julieannerhodes.com
TofuXpress Gourmet Food and Tofu Press http://tofuxpress.com/NEW/